A FAMILY BUSINESS IN THE MAKING
A FAMILY HERITAGE
De Pietro Holdings LLC can trace its heritage to 11 acres that were acquired and subsequently developed by Frank and Frances De Pietro.
Frank and Frances De Pietro were both born in Southern Italy. Frances De Pietro immigrated with her family to the United States in 1926 arriving at Ellis Island. Frank De Pietro came to Los Angeles to visit his uncle in 1940 and following the outbreak of World War II Frank remained and was ultimately drafted into the U.S. Army.
Frank and Frances met and were married in 1945. Frances was already a successful businesswoman working with her brother in the grocery business and was involved in real estate loans and small developments. Frank was a successful custom tailor in Italy and established his store in a prestigious location on Wilshire Boulevard.
In the mid 1950’s, Frank and Frances purchased eleven acres of agricultural land in the then thirty-year-old city of West Covina. This undeveloped land was adjacent to what would become Interstate 10. With vision, tenacity and a deep respect and personal interest for all those who would become their tenants, Frank and Frances would, over the next fifteen years, subdivide and develop facilities for numerous users including county and federal government agencies, a non-profit health organization, an insurance company and even a wedding chapel. With their deep commitment to their tenants, they continued to develop and purchase buildings in other parts of Southern California.
Frank and Frances’ dedication to long term business relationships, founded on deep personal commitments, became the foundation of the family business, which grew to include their sons Robert and Dennis.
Frank and Frances De Pietro were both very active in social, philanthropic, educational and religious organizations including numerous Italian-American organizations. They were proud of their heritage and especially proud to be a part of the American dream, committing their lives to make things better and to improve the opportunities of the generations that would succeed them.
- Husband and wife, Frank and Frances De Pietro, purchased 11 acres of former agricultural land in West Covina, CA.
- Subdivided and developed three office buildings, one retail/office building, one medical building, and three multifamily projects
- These initial projects were the foundation of what would grow to become De Pietro Holdings LLC.
- 1962 – Built medical clinic for Kaiser Foundation Health Plan (Kaiser Permanente) in West Covina, CA.
- Start of 55-year tenant relationship that provided Kaiser Permanente with over 32,0000 square feet of medical office and 105,000 square feet of regional, multimedia, and video conferencing space in Pasadena, Los Angeles, and West Covina.
- Late 1960s – Designed and constructed the Los Angeles County Assessor’s Office in West Covina, CA.
- Start of 40+ year relationship with LA County that led to two additional design and constructions projects.
- 1971 – Frank and Frances De Pietro’s sons, Robert and Dennis joined their parents to form Frank De Pietro and Sons and worked with their father until his passing in 1986.
- 1972 – Purchased and conserved a 1929 designated historic office building on Vine Street one block North of Hollywood Boulevard.
- Acquired 4 additional adjacent properties and combined and developed them into an office/live/work campus.
- 1982 – Developed and constructed a six-story Type I office building in Los Angeles.
- Contained 85,000 square feet of office and 37,000 square feet of subterranean parking.
- Project exceeded the then energy codes for efficiency and qualified for energy tax credits.
- 1985 – Purchased a 1929 designated historic building in Glendale, CA and obtained initial entitlements for its redevelopment.
- In the following years, acquired three adjacent properties, including two 1920s era retail and office buildings. These additional buildings were completely renovated to meet modern building standards.
- 1988 – Purchased an architecturally recognized five-story retail and office building in Pasadena, CA.
- Entire building was substantially renovated.
- 2006 and 2009 respectively – Third generation family members Althea and James De Pietro joined their fathers as Partners.
- 2015 – Diversified its investment holdings to include properties in the greater Phoenix, AZ and Denver, CO areas.
- 2017 – Frank De Pietro and Sons is renamed De Pietro Holdings LLC to reflect the addition of third generation family members and prepare the Company for future generations.
- 2021 – De Pietro Holdings LLC currently owns more than 630,000 sf of office, industrial, medical office, and retail properties in 16 cities across 4 states, and more than 30 acres of developable land in California.